There’s often a desire to cut corners in order to cut costs in a profit conscious business environment. Using non-genuine toner cartridges is one of the most typical examples. However, as our previous article stressed, this can actually lead to more costs than in reverse. Thus, as far as toner cartridges are concerned, Samsung requested Buyers Laboratory LLC (BLI), a leading global independent office-equipment test lab and business consumer advocate since 1961, to help prove this, so that we can help businesses to make right decision and to actually save more and gain more.
The entire test was composed of four separate tests: pages yield, print quality for each cartridge model,image permanence andcartridge reliability. 3 of each Samsung original toner cartridge modelwas assessed against 12 to 14 remanufactured cartridges of the same kind.
Deliver 100% Guaranteed Pages Yield
Which toner would you buy for your business? One that can print 1,500 quality pages per cartridge? Or one with the 22 pages only? If you think the answer is too easy, this test result might surprise you. While average page yield of remanufactured cartridges was only 998 pages, each of all three Samsung original products reached the 1500 page-yield target. The worst of third-party brand netted just 22 pages, and that means roughly 6,800% more pages could’ve been printed if original Samsung toner was used. Not only Samsung’s average pages yield is higher than other remanufactured brands,’ but more importantly, original Samsung toner delivered promised pages yield.
100% Business Quality
Testing the quality of the print was evaluated through page quality test and permanence test. Through the print quality tests, 100% of Samsung original cartridges printed were evaluated as good for business use. 91% of the samples earned highest rating of virtually flawless, with the rest of 9% rated the second highest rating, being ‘good for internal use.’ However, all of the third party cartridges scored below Samsung. 26% of pages printed by one of the remanufactured brands’ cartridge were only good enough for individual use, indicating if this toner was used for your business, 26% of the pages were thrown away as waste.
Image permanence test is to assess the ability for the ink to bond to the paper and not smudge. Based on the amount of toner transferred to the clean sheet, it was rated asbeing either excessive (“Hands are Dirty”), moderate (“Hands are Slightly Dirty”) or minimal (“Hands are Clean”). Samsung cartridges gave 100% superior performance with virtually no toner transferring to the clean sheet, while85% of third party cartridges showed a moderate or high level of toner transfer, indicating inferior image permanence to that of the Samsung original toners.
Indicating the incidence of operational failures of cartridges, reliability test evaluates and considers any memory chip failure and toner flaking, in addition to any excessive printer. And, none of the Samsung original cartridges failed in any way. While three of the third-party cartridges had at least one failure that was classified as an out of the box failure or a premature expires due to quality defects, original Samsung cartridges succeeded in all tests. Also, out of the 39 remanufactured cartridges tested, 45% were failures,18% were out of box and 11% were due to poor imaging and finally,15% were due to premature expires.
Don’t Compromise on Quality
It’s easy to think that you’re cutting costs out of your organization if you change printer toners for cheaper remanufactured brands. BLI’s tests clearly demonstrated that this can create more costs. Up to 6,800% more pages being yield with no failure in delivering consistently high quality prints that are good for business use, the original Samsung cartridges not only outperformed the remanufactured cartridges overall, but clearly proved to save more and gain more for businesses: time, resource and of course, costs. Samsung has proven that it is committed to providing benefits, not just providing products in order to help partners and businesses get the best out of Samsung products and grow their businesses.