At a time when sustainability is a key issue for many businesses, there are plenty of really simple ways to save money and trees by conserving paper usage. Having a positive effect on the environment doesn’t have to mean huge internal changes in your office structure. Here are 10 quick and easy ways SMB and enterprises can make small changes that will have a large impact on operating costs and the environment.
1. “Not only is it just a good habit to proofread everything, doing so in print preview has saved me hundreds in paper expenses. I don’t know how many excel sheets I’ve saved from printing one column on multiple pages.”
Using print preview mode ensures you are printing only what you need and that it is formatted optimally. Excel files are often the largest culprit of unnecessary paper waste. Checking the print preview can save a one-page chart from becoming a 36-page paper waste.
2. “I set up usage tracking through the customized controls on my Samsung workspace printer. Placing ownership for the personal printing footprint on your team members in your office makes your team accountable for waste.”
The Samsung Usage Tracker shows real-time data on printed, copied, scanned and faxed pages by devices and by users. It can also be set up to track the costs incurred through each of those categories. You can monitor specific functions of any device within your network.
3. “Digitizing a home office automates workflow. Not only do I save paper, I save a lot of time!”
The world is largely digital; email, Internet, intranet and soft copies can radically reduce paper use. And less paper means more money can go to your expenditures. Many businesses and even governments are making the transition to strictly digital communication. You can also share internal documents through intranet or cloud storage services.
4. “Printing in draft mode helped my business when it came to saving paper costs. Especially for internal documents, it not only conserved paper, but also ink and toner.”
To conserve even more toner, print in draft mode. The output will be lighter, but you’ll still be able to read your copy clearly. The lighter print will also make it easier to reuse the paper by printing on the other side.
5. “My resolution for 2015 was to think about every document before I hit the print button. I saved hundreds in paper costs last year alone.”
The print button is so tempting to use for making notes and editing a document. But programs now come with review tools to let you track changes and make notes electronically. Sharing digital documents that show all changes with colleagues is easier than ever. Always consider whether a hard copy is absolutely necessary before clicking print.
6. “It can be as simple as only printing the pages that you need. It can be tough to break the habit of just clicking print, but when I started printing only the pages I needed, I reduced my paper costs by 70 percent.”
It’s very common to print 10-page documents, when only page sixtr was really necessary. Just taking an extra minute to use the print preview to choose exactly which pages should be printed can create savings that really add up.
7. “Just like we don’t use two spaces after a period anymore, margins are shrinking as well. It’s so simple, but makes a huge difference.”
Adjust margins on your documents before printing. Smaller margins are becoming more common. When printing a web page, copy and paste the text into a word document to format it correctly. Samsung Easy Eco Driver makes it really simple to make simple editing to documents before printing. You can use the Easy Eco Driver to print in grayscale and delete graphics before printing. Frequently used settings can be saved as presets.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
8. “Big changes can start by doing something really simple – using both sides of the sheet of paper. This is a really easy way of reducing your paper consumption by 50 percent.”
Set your printer’s default to double-sided printing. Select one-sided printing only when necessary for professional proposals. If any document is printed on one side, reuse the paper for the next print job.
9. “Placing a tray next to the printer for recycling not only saves my company in paper products, but also gives my employees a sense of pride to know they work in an environmentally conscientious environment.”
First, use recycled paper products. Then collect used paper for reuse (refer back to Tip #8). Use another tray for paper that has been used on both sides to take to a local recycling center each week.
10. “After I switched to using thinner paper, I found I saved a lot in paper costs. Not only did it save me money, it’s better for the environment.”
The thickness of paper makes a big difference both in terms of both cost and what goes into producing the paper itself. Buy paper wisely and create a policy to buy only paper made from mostly recycled materials.
Reducing paper usage is a simple way to reduce expenses for any business. Not only that, it is reduces the use of valuable resources needed to produce paper. Samsung Printing Solutions makes it easy to automate workflow and digitize documents, reducing the cost and time associated with document management. Find out more about the customized printing solutions created for SMB and enterprises by Samsung, and printing innovations that help you Smartify Your Business.